Tuesday, February 6, 2018

My Ayurvedic Medicine Adventure

Out of curiosity, I went to see a visiting Ayurvedic doctor who was here from India. I knew a little about Ayurvedic medicine through all my studying of health over the years but there is always more to learn. So, I decided to be adventurous and see what else I could learn.
Ayurveda means a science of life (Ayur = life, Veda = science or knowledge). Ayurvedic medicine originated in India more than 3,000 years ago and remains one of the country’s traditional healthcare systems. Those who practice Ayurvedic medicine believe every person is made of five basic elements found in the universe: space, air, fire, water, and earth.
It’s based on the belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind, body, and spirit. Its main goal is to promote good health, not fight disease. But treatments may be geared toward specific health problems.
This doctor was from southern India and has an Ayurvedic medicine clinic over there that anyone can go to. He was just here for two weeks in Canada to see new and existing clients.
The first thing he did was check my pulses on the inside of my wrist. This procedure is very helpful in assessing and diagnosing. He was checking the health of all the major organ systems in my body. Traditional pulse diagnosis assesses up to 28 different qualities of the pulse. It takes many years of practice to get good at it.
After the pulse diagnosis, he told me my doshas. Doshas are the life forces or energies. They control how your body works. They are Vata dosha; Pitta dosha; and Kapha Dosha. He told me my two were Vata and Pitta. Everyone inherits a unique mix of the three doshas. But one is usually stronger than the others. Each one controls a different body function. Vata was my main life force. Pitta was my next one.
Vata derives from the elements of Space and Air and translates as “wind” or “that which moves things”. The Vata people are active, creative, and gifted with a natural ability to express and communicate. Pitta derives from the elements of Fire and Water and translates as “that which cooks.” The balanced Pitta type is blessed with a joyful disposition, a sharp intellect, and tremendous courage and drive. Kapha derives from the elements of Earth and Water and translates as “that which sticks”. Kapha people have a loving and calm disposition and Kapha dosha governs love, patience, and forgiveness.
Using that information, he proceeded to create an individual health program for my combination of doshas. It consisted of a daily routine, including meditation, the best foods and physical activities suited to the Vata Dosha. I found out the best time to eat fruit for me is between 11 and 4 p.m. He was impressed with my current diet as we went over the foods. He did comment that I needed to get to bed earlier than I am used to. So that is my challenge this year.
At the end of the whole session, he commented on how healthy I was for my age and said I could be a role model for others. I told him that was my aim. I told him I take whole food supplements and that helps me stay young and healthy.
So, my Ayurvedic medicine adventure was both fun and informative. It confirmed I am on the right track and if you need any help to get on your right track, please reach out.
To your good health!
Charlene

No comments:

Post a Comment